Monday, June 23, 2008

Badlands National Park!



I just spent the last 3+ days in Badlands National Park. Last Thursday, I arrived from the south, cruising up and down the rolling hills. Suddenly as I hit the top of one of the taller summits, the Badlands just jutted out on the horizon ahead. I think I said, "Wow!" about 4 times in a row... and many more times over the next few days. I don't have the time to write much so I'll just try to post a few pictures with light explanation.


Above, this was sunset over the Badlands from our camp. Badlands was my first big planned destinations and it was really cool to find a good number of folks in their early 20s doing a summer road trip. Each night I camped in the Badlands, I was able to hang out with other people trekking westward. We even did a few hikes together. Anyways, this sunset left us all in awe.



This was the view after hiking straight up the formations.



This picture above is from the road that looped through the entire park. At several points during my 30 mile ride, I just started laughing aloud... it was so crazy riding a bicycle through stuff this incredible.


And there were buffalo too. This solitary male stared me down as I pedaled by him. Notice there is definitely no fence!



I was out on a hike with a girl from Michigan, we stopped and ate a light lunch on top of a ridge. Within 10 minutes a whole herd of buffalo started grazing about 100 yards from us!

I'll be in the Black Hills the next few days!




No comments: