Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Crown of the Continent

That's what Glacier National Park has been called in the past- Crown of the Continent. I had already earmarked it as my favorite spot in North America... that's one reason why I traveled over 300 miles out of my way to get there. I also was ready to get off the bike for a few days of rest and relaxation. The prairie abruptly (and finally) stopped right at the base of the Rockies... and you wouldn't believe how excited I was to smell trees again!
I ended up doing just over 70 miles of hiking during the week I spent in Glacier. Here's a collection of pictures... though none of them do justice to the actual sight. A really cool couple- Brian and Denise- in Kalispell let me shower, do laundry, and update my blog today at their place. View on... courtesy of some more random kindness I've found along the way:
One of the countless waterfalls

One of the countless snowfields still remaining... I had to cross this guy

Mokowanis Lake... a view from camp


Elizabeth Lake, another view from camp



A field of bear grass in bloom


A view from the top of Piegan Pass
A bighorn sheep


Conquering the continental divide!

St. Mary Lake at sunrise as the bicycle ascent begins
A mountain goat at Logan Pass


Sunset

2 comments:

bikingbrady said...

I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice, but they sure are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

JM Palacios said...

Beautiful pics!

As for conquering the Great Divide, I was reading an article in the August 2008 issue of Outside magazine about the Great Divide Race, a self-sustained mountain bike race that goes from Montana to New Mexico (basically Canadian border to Mexican border) along the spine of the Great Divide. You have to finish in at least 25 days. That's conquering the Great Divide!

It sounds like something you'd want to do. ;-)