Monday, July 7, 2008

The Midnight Rains

Behold! The Rockies! I've almost made it across the prairie... later today I hope to be rolling into the east entrance of Glacier National Park!

So I made it to Great Falls on Saturday and was able to pick up my new set of tires. You can see from the picture below that I was desperately in need of a replacement pair. Great Falls- with a population of about 60,000- was a very intimidating place after spending so many weeks exclusively in small towns... I ended up skipping my first Lewis and Clark museum in an effort to skip town asap.
The last 8 nights, I've camped in city parks in small towns... they allow bicyclists to throw a tent up in the corner which is quite nice. But I've noticed a peculiar phenomenon here in Montana: the midnight rain storm. Twice in three days I was awaken by water hitting my tent. At first I thought a random shower popped up, but then it just stopped. About 30 seconds later, it was coming down again. I realized this is no rain storm... sure enough, the sprinkler system had turned on! I've started scouting out spots a little better since those two occasions...

Here's a picture for Ken... some more Montana clouds to bring back memories:

I'll be spending the next week or so in Glacier National Park, doing some hiking and relaxing. There won't be any posts until next week at the earliest. Logan Pass, here I come!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

these pictures are AMAZING. amazing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Brian for thinking of me! Those are some pretty sweet clouds, and I appreciate the time of day you took them, with the shadows and all. Good job!